Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Why do women seem more impressed with my black belt than my four year degree?

I think it's a shame. The degree took longer, and was harder to earn than showing up for a martial arts class a few times a week for a few years.

If girls find out I'm a college grad, their reaction is not even close to the way their eyes light up when someone tells them I have a black belt. I'm not even all that serious about classes anymore. I've never earned a dime from it. In fact, it's been a very expensive hobby over the years.

The reaction is the same from my cousin and her friends (high school), to women my age (30s).

Is this kind of like the way men like girls in cheerleader, flight attendant, or Hooters uniforms?


Because martial arts require a certain discipline and you don't do it to get something like a job or money out of it. I've always liked people who have a passion, whatever it may be.

I used to study Shotokan, but I never went for belts. I just liked to learn katas and spar. Marital arts can also teach you how to have patience and use momentum, as in Tai Chi, go with the flow, use certain moves to your advantage. When someone pushes you, you move back and pull him down. It's the same in life when you're dealt a bad hand you need to know how to use that to your advantage. There's a whole philosophy behind it all.

That's why I admire people who are into marital arts. Your degree, yeah, I hear you, that's good, but how many people have a degree and don't know their @ss from their elbow, as in no common sense what so ever?... I've met quite a few. Martial arts with a good sensei can teach you that. Ever read "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior"?

You're obviously dating imbeciles who do not value education. This says more about you, than it does about them! What exactly do you value?

Do men react the same way? It's just that it's not typical for people to have a black belt. It intrigues both sexes. People could also be intrigued because you stole all that money, jumped from a flying plane, and are still missing.

Hell yes, DB, exploit it.

That is something that sets you apart. I kickbox, but I don't do much sparring. I'd like the idea that you can defend yourself and me. It is manly.

C. :)!!

You are probably only dating certain types of women. Also, it may seem more impressive because it's more unusual and to people that haven't experienced it, they probably think you are a martial arts expert that can do somersaults through the air and chop through a phone book with one hand, like jackie Chan. Whereas although very commendable, many people have degrees nowadays but it's not as exciting and unusual as being a black belt.

I don't think it's teh same as men like hooters, cheerleaders etc. That's just because they are a sterotype or dress in a certain way. They aren't impressed because of the way you look in your martial art uniform, it's what you have achieved.You should be proud that you have accomplished this.

I dunno where you got yours, or in what discipline, but I thought getting a college degree was a joke compared to the work it took to get the belts I have.

In school I smoked a lot of dope, went to a lot of keg parties, screwed around with women a lot, and every once in a while, I'd study for a couple of hours or be forced to sit at the library for half a day writing a term paper.

I won't tell you what belts I have, what they are in - I don't believe in thinly disguised bragging. Hork. But they are a lot of benefits to taking martial arts besides impressing girls and learning to kick butt. If you have a black in anything you should know that.

As for cost vs benefit, well, college has nearly every adult endeavor beat all to hell. Takes up a s*hitload of time, too. And for what? Becoming an expert in English literature? Psychology? A host of things that are better learned in the real world than listening to some clown that couldn't cut it in the marketplace himself tell YOU how to do it?

The majority of people that get degrees get ones that are good for little other than wiping their butts.

Timely question for me. I just met a man around 42 who teaches martial arts and boxing privately at his in-home work-out room as his only profession for 20 years. He says the majority of his students (all have been with him for several years) are women in their 50's. I was very surprised.

It may just be a rarer commodity. Everyone studies. Not many really discipline their bodies. and yes, as any professional advertiser admits, unfortunately, sex sells. You are simply witnessing the basic element of this statement and the evidence first-hand. Perhaps you may try not even mentioning your black-belt if you feel it does not attract the right women. . .

You have the brains and the mental ability to protect yourself and a loved one at least you have something to offer.

Haha wonder if you should exploit it....I am a bit more impressed with the degree but having a degree doesn't mean much anymore unless you have the good job to back it up...I have a college degree and I work a temp job and a 2nd job in retail, alot of good that degree did me.

You did not mention what the degree was in. A discerning women may not be impressed with a degree in sociology. ( a vain hope, I know )

1. Lots of people have college degrees--I have 3 of them. Comparatively few people have black belt status.

2 They make action movies about the martial arts, not usually about college graduates, perhaps with the exception of Indiana Jones.

3. They might like the idea that with your black belt you could protect them if necessary. You might not go to your average history major for protection.

I don't know. Maybe they're more impressed because they don't know anyone with a blackbelt. I know way more people with college degrees than blackbelts. Most of the people I know went to college and I probably know one person with a black belt in a martial art.

I think every woman feels extremely safe and secure with someone that can protect her. It's a relief to know wherever you go your man can keep you safe. I'm sure the degree is imporant too, but it's unique to find someone who is a martial arts expert, and it's a real turn on for us females!

You have a degree? That's cool. Where did you attend school?

It's more common these days for a man to have a degree than a black belt. (btw, in what discipline is your black belt?) That's why women are more amazed by the black belt. I can walk outside right now and find a man with a BS, but a black belt is quite harder to come by.

yeah, i have a 3rd degree black belt in tang soo do and i'm be much more eager to share that with women than i would be a bachelors degree(as soon as i get it). i think a lot of women are just impressed by athletic ability. where do you think the stereotype of all the dumb jocks getting the girls while the nerds can't even get a date came from?

also, the black belt is more unique and uncommon. i mean, if you were a phd or something, then lots of women would be more impressed by that. and lets not forget that a lot of ppeople overestimate black belts. a lot of people seem to think that if you have a black belt, you are like Jackie Chan or something and you can beat anybody up. but in a lot of cases, that is not true. there are 9 year old black belts.

because they're stupid?

It's just unique! Most people in your social strata probably have a 4-year degree, but getting a black belt-- it's like hearing someone was a ballerina or went to Le Cordon Bleu, it makes you picture them doing their thing then you wonder why they did it, why they quit etc.

Well, it's certainly more unique. I wouldn't say it's "exploiting" it. If people find it attractive, they find it attractive.

Women trade their sexuality for male power (money, security, etc...). Don't be a fool and believe the feminists who try to portray women as wanting equality.

They say the want equality. They don't. They want privilege without responsibility.

First of all, I think it's funny that you know who DB Cooper is! Cheers. Glad you live through the fall. So you've been spending that money on Karate lessons?

I would question the education of the women who are more impressed by the black belt than the degree. I would be more impressed by your education.

I assume your very fit. If women just want sex, then they go for the body. If they want a relationship, both are important.

Sounds just like the way a man would think.

Another thought - movies glorify karate fighting, but do not glorify (to the same extent) intelligence.

Kudos for both!

On some level many woman want a tough guy or at least someone to protect or shelter them (even the most independent of us) it is an animal instinct seeded deep within us. The black belt appeals to that side of women. However, an education is a huge turn on for many women, especially if they are a little older and mature. To be honest a four year degree is not hugely impressive to me, but a guy with some sort of graduate degree is a massive turn on. It shows me that they are very well educated and persisted long enough to reach that goal.

Because there are lots of people with degrees but not that many black belts.

It's the discipline and dedication required. It's the spiritual element and self-control involved.

Right - unless you have a corresponding job a degree is nothing. I know lots of people with degrees but no decent job.

Women seem to like me better when they find out that I'm a competent fighter.

It's shallow and tells you volumes about them.

I have nothing to do with women who want me for what I can do and not for who I am.

Most people now have a four year degree so it's not very exciting. Not everyone you meet is a black belt though.

A college degree is great, but they're a dime a dozen.

Probably because having a black belt is way less common than having a four year degree?

How long did it take you to get your black belt? I've been in training for over four years, and I'm still on purple. You must pass the test every session.

Either way, it seems that people value a man's strength over his mind. If more men (and women) thought the way you do, the high-school nerds would be on top of the social ladder.

Girls like to think their guy can protect them.

Guess they want a martial artists to straighten them out. Women like to be dominated.

0 comments:

  © women belt Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP